Ethernet and POE over Coax Converter
Fast Ethernet and POE power over coax video cable
HIGHWIRE PowerStar lets you install IP cameras easily, quickly, and reliably, without the disruption and expense of installing new cable.
Support for your camera is assured, thanks to HIGHWIRE's unique full-rate Ethernet over Coax technology, which has been tested and trusted by thousands of IP installers worldwide over the past five years.
And now with POE over Coax, you can deliver up to 25 watts of POE power to the camera as well, eliminating the complexity of installing local power supplies.
Simply add power
With no configuration or measurement required, installation of HIGHWIRE PowerStar is as straightforward as plugging it in.
Two models are used, as shown in the diagram below. The BASE unit receives POE power and transmits it down the coax. The CAMERA unit receives power from the coax and delivers up to full POE Plus power to the IP camera.
If PoE is not available, or for an extra power boost at either end of the cable, just connect the optional power supply.
For fast installation and guaranteed performance, HIGHWIRE PowerStar features Veracity's unique SafeView display.
SafeView provides an instant and easy-to-understand confirmation of network and power status right across the cable, with no need to access remote equipment to check connections.
Meanwhile, safe and compliant detection of POE equipment and POE over coax compatibility ensures correct operation, with no risk of damage to non-POE or legacy analog equipment.
Because the length and quality of installed coaxial cable is hard to predict or measure, it is important to have confidence that the cable you are upgrading has the capacity to deliver continuous, reliable power to the new IP camera.
However, thanks to HIGHWIRE PowerStar's ultra low-power design and efficient power delivery, even the lowest grade of cheap RG-59 will support a 10 watt IP camera at any range likely to be found in a legacy installation. And once connected, the SafeView power display instantly reaffirms that the actual power available to the camera is sufficient.
For predictable network performance, HIGHWIRE's proven technology delivers full network bandwidth, right to the limits of range. And secure screw-terminal DC connections, or the option of using a UPS-backed POE source, provide the last link in assuring continuous power delivery.
- See table in datasheet or manual. Examples, with full 100Base-T throughput:
- - 10 watts of POE at 265m (880ft) of 22AWG CCS RG-59 from a Veracity power supply
- - 10 watts of POE at 300m (1000ft) of 20AWG RG-59 from an 802.3af POE switch
- - 20 watts of POE+ at 300m (1000ft) of 20AWG RG-59 from an 802.3at POE+ switch
- - 25 watts of POE+ at 500m (1600ft) of 14AWG RG-11 from a Veracity power supply
- Unit power 1.5 watts max
- BASE POE in IEEE 802.3af or 802.3at, class 4 (25.5W max)
- CAMERA POE out IEEE 802.3af or 802.3at, any class (25.5W max)
- DC power input 44-57 volts, 0.7 amps max, class 2 isolated, screw terminal
- 100Base-T full-duplex Ethernet with auto-negotiation
- Patch or crossover cables auto-detected
- 84 x 54 x 24mm (3.3 x 2.1 x 0.95in) / 102mm (4in) including connector
- 100g (3.5oz)
Upgrading to IP
- Delivering full network connectivity and standardised, centrally-sourced power without recabling, HIGHWIRE removes many of the barriers to upgrading systems from analog to digital.
- With the familiarity of coaxial cable and the reliability and cost advantages of POE, HIGHWIRE PowerStar is an effective choice for the installation of new IP video systems where cable runs may be very long or inaccessible.
Long range extension
- Connecting HIGHWIRE PowerStar units back-to-back allows the network signal to be repeated without local power, enabling extension of Ethernet up to 4km (2.5 miles)
Anywhere there's coax!
- The ability to convert coax into a network connection without requiring power has many advantages in upgrading CATV or satellite systems in hotels or other buildings, among other applications. HIGHWIRE technology has been successfully used with 50 ohm cable and many other non-video types.
|VHW-HWPS-B||HIGHWIRE PowerStar Base unit|
|VHW-HWPS-C||HIGHWIRE PowerStar Camera unit|
|VPSU-57V-800-xx||Optional 57VDC 800mA power supply (xx=US/EU/UK)
|VHW-WMB||Wall mounting-bracket for a single HIGHWIRE unit|
|VHW-DMB||DIN Rail-mounting bracket for a single HIGHWIRE unit|
|VHW-1U||Rack-mounting bracket for eight HIGHWIRE units in 1U|